Monday, November 2, 2009

Full SOVR Sneak Preview Report

As yesterday's post was lacking due to time constraints, today's post will be more detailed.

Me and my brother left the house rather early, but unfortunately, we missed the bus still. In the end, we decided to jog all the way to the shop. We managed to make it there around 11:10 am.

Before the tournament began, I tried to trade for a Dark Armed Dragon, but in the end, time ran out.

Around noon-ish, it was time to open our packs for the Sneak Preview event.

I only managed to pull a Fortune's Future, while my brother also pulled a Fortune's Future, as well as an Explosive Magician.

This day started to look down already...

As the decklist is already posted, I'll skip right to the report.

Round 1: OO Vs. Nigz

I know, a weird name.

Remembering tournaments are kinda difficult for me, but I recall that I managed to drop my Reptillianne Medusa, while he had no answers to it both games.

Round 2: OO Vs. Skyler

Going against Skyler, it was a little bit tougher. However, with control from my Gorgons and Medusas, while he had no monsters bigger than Medusa, led me to victory eventually.

Round 3: OO vs. John

Going into Round 3, I started to feel like my deck was actually pretty good, and things would turn out good for me.

Seeing John's Regulus and Spiritual Forest, as well as Spider Web, placed me into a tight spot. But eventually, the number of beatsticks that I had outnumbered his, and I won both games through this method. He also didn't managed to draw his Gemini monsters together with Gemini Spark, so that was a stroke of luck for me.

Before the start of Round 4, my friend Mark had told me that he was suspicious of his opponent, Logan, for cheating, as well as sharing cards during a Sealed Tournament event. When I found out that Logan was my Round 4 matchup, I decided to see if Logan was actually cheating or not...

Round 4: XX vs. Logan

This matchup was a total wreck for me. I didn't know what happened, but at the end of both games, Logan had 2 Reptillianne Medusas on the field, with a grave full of Insects monsters for Insect Neglect. Just..wow...

After the match, I asked Logan if he was borrowing any of his friends cards. He said yes.

"facepalm"

I asked the judge Jimmy, to see if anything would be done. In the end, it was decided that Logan would receive two game losses, for the match against me as well as Mark, for cheating and not following the rules of a Sealed Format event.

It does suck when it happens, but it has to happen. :\

Round 5: XX vs. Mark

After the whole Logan issue was resolved, my mind was a bit distracted. Knowing that I was going 4-0 into this round, my attitude towards winning and losing in this round kinda dissappear.

It showed in my bad playing.

Even though I was 4-1, I still had a lot of fun with Mark.

After the 5 Rounds had passed, it was time to play in the Top 8. I had qualified, so that was awesome.

Top 8: OXO vs. John

Once again, I was up against John. The first matchup was easy for me, I kept drawing into my beatsticks while John had nothing to stop the onslaught of 1800/1900 Atk beaters.

The second round, John decked me out by using Spider Web, as well as Regulus and Insect Neglect. I just didn't have enough answers to all the cards that John played, and eventually, I lost due to deckout.

The third round had em almost decking out once again. His cards overwhelmed me. Soon though, I managed to get a swarm of monsters on the field which were able to do the lot of damage needed to win the duel.

Top 4: XX vs. Mark

Now for these two duels, they were the times when I was always in trouble. Mark's deck ahs a lot of answer to big monsters, as well as a lot of stall monsters in it. Whenver I got out a monster with more than 2000 Atk Points, my opponent would just Gemini Spark my monster away.

In the end, the venture proved too difficult for me to win.

So while I may have only made it to the Top 4, I still received a Turbo Pack, but unfortunately, I did not pull any shiny cards.

At the Top 2 table, which was my brother Albert and Mark going at it, Albert won the final matchup. Getting us....That's right. A giant mouse pad. It looks really nice, to be honest, and I'm happy for Albert, winning his second mat now.

At the end of the day, I did a few trades, managing to get the sought after Dark Armed Dragon, as well as some toher cards, by trading away my super Lumina.

Now it's time for Pros and Cons.

Pros:
Making the Top 4 in Sealed
Getting a DAD finally
Seeing Albert win the SOVR mat

Cons:
Not pulling much out of the SOVR packs
Missing the bus
Seeing Albert win the SOVR mat and not me

That's all for this tournament report. Look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment